Search This Blog

Exmoor.

31st January 2009.
It’s been a bit of a scrappy month. I have been out a few times but have done nothing much. Had a reasonable trip up onto Dunkery on the 20th where I kicked around in the recently fallen snow in a bitterly cold east wind.






With the threat of snow on the way again I today decided to head out into the moor and walk some combes that I have never visited before. I was going to park at Larkbarrow Corner but on arrival every single parking spot was occupied by a hunt supporter’s vehicle. I was well past Alderman’s Barrow and well away from where I wanted to go before a vacant spot appeared. I should have checked before I left home, but I don’t believe the hunt publishes its meet anymore. I drove down to Allerford and parked, being too tight to pay for a parking ticket at Bossington. I walked out through the woods to Hurlstone where I spent a couple of hours climbing around the point. Not many people about, just a school group at the point. Walking back along the same path to Allerford I looked down on the car park at Bossington and saw that there were only half a dozen vehicles there. I suppose the charges are reasonable compared to The Valley of Rocks, its just a shock after parking there free for so many years. I notice that there are now far more vehicles parking at the end of North Hill and on the roadside at Bossington Green. I hear it is the same at Horner where a similar machine has been installed in the car park.

No comments: