Search This Blog

The Ivystone. Exmoor

18th August 2009.

Decided to revisit The Ivystone at low water on a spring tide and get a couple of climbs in. Parked up at Worthy Combe gatehouse, descended to the beach via Rockford Cottage and trudged along the beach to the buttress which was well out of the water. I climbed two routes at the right end of the main buttress. One was new, the other is named Channel Chimney. I then ascended the

gully on the west side of the buttress to the main ridge which I then followed up to the disused coast path. Many years ago I recall driving my minivan out past Culbone to this spot and parking in a recess or layby beside the track. I imagine many other people did the same. Just below the track is an axle with two spoked wheels, tyres still fitted. The area was obviously used to dump various bits and pieces. Thankfully only the axle remains visible. Landslips have reduced the width of the track to a narrow path, its no longer possible to drive to The Ivystone. As I walked back via Culbone it dawned on me that the route in around Culbone Combe extends the distance quite considerably back to Worthy Combe, its probably quicker to walk back along the beach.

No comments: