Search This Blog

Western Brockholes. Exmoor

17th December 2008.
Used the bus pass again to travel out to Headon Cross on the A39. Made my way up a rather muddy Dean’s Lane and on to the top of Selworthy Beacon. Great views along the coast but the cold wind soon had me on the move again. I descended into East Combe and followed the rugged coast path east. At the top of the ridge between East Combe and Henners Combe the wartime remains of a bunker and a tank reminded me that North Hill was once a wartime gunnery range. Hidden in the heather and gorse are bunkers, turntables and embankments along which targets ran on rails. I know of one bunker where it is still possible to squeeze inside. I moved on down into the top of Henners Combe, crossed the stream and climbed the slope on the far side. I wanted to have a close look at the boulders and rock faces in Western Brockholes. The place is completely shattered, it has long scree / boulder slopes, two huge cube shaped boulders and various pinnacles. Here and there in the debris it is possible to descend into holes of up to 18ft or so. I am no geologist but it seems as though the hillside has slumped creating ridges, rock faces and areas of boulders. Very similar to The Guildhall below Sugarloaf Hill, but covering a far larger area. I continued east along the path to Furzebury Brake turning sharply south into Grexy Combe into the sun and out of the wind. I had lunch while gazing down into Grexy looking for deer. Lots of rabbits, but no deer. I climbed on to the top of North Hill then descended a very wet Woodcombe. I walked down through The Parks to Banck St and the bus.

No comments: