Search This Blog

Malham Circular Walk.

Wednesday 13th October 2010.
Parked up at the National Park Centre at Malham, intending to walk a circular route passing Janets Foss, Gordale Scar, Malham Tarn, back down to Malham Cove and home. Set off following the stream towards Janets Waterfall. In Fairy Wood came across fallen tree trunks embedded with hundreds of coins. Unfortunately my multitool did not include pliars. Walking into Gordale Scar I could not help thinking that this was great walking country.
Fairy Wood

Janets Foss
Our guide did say that the route involved a little scrambling but nothing that would bother the experienced walker. Imagine our surprise when we arrived at the foot of the waterfall at Gordale Scar and found a group of bewildered walkers staring at the falls comparing various guide books while trying to work out the way forward. Mrs Crumbling Cliff informed me that she did not believe that her dodgy knee would allow her to climb the rocky waterfall. I spotted a slightly polished line to the right of the fall and clambered up it without my sack. At the top of the first fall the route is obvious with a path leading up to the left of the waterspout above. While I was stood there a couple climbed the middle of the fall which looked much easier than my route. I reversed their route and found the holds to be big and chunky and not at all slippery.

Gordale Scar

Above the first fall.
We retreated back downstream and traversed the hill around to a point above Malham Cove, then headed across to Malham Tarn where we had lunch. After lunch we descended down the dry valley to the top of Malham Cove and the limestone pavement. Reaching the bottom of the cove I was drawn to the spot where the stream from the tarn re-surfaces, I was disappointed not to find a cave entrance.
Malham Tarn
The Dry Valley

Limestone pavement above Malham Cove.
Scanning the huge cliff above it was possible to make out abandoned climbing gear here and there which left me wondering how people managed to scale these massive walls. Walking back to Malham I was drawn time and again into glancing back at those towering walls gleaming in the sun. An interesting walk. 

Malham Cove.

No comments: